Pages

Sunday 22 July 2012

Theatre Review... 《老九》 The Musical

To the Chinese, having a boy is like an asset to the family, as people would say Male will carry the family line. As the statement goes 男人婚后可传香火 ,女人婚后就像泼出去的水。
(No wonder my grandma still values that in the family .)

It's the Chinese belief that gave the guys a heavier responsibilities, being a capable in everything that he should be in, and do proud in the family.

Following a dream is something that everyone wants,but we cannot deny that in many parts of Asia (even in modern Singapore) there are parents who would scorn their child's attempt to be in the arts without at least a backup diploma.Though as an Arts graduate student, I can relate the objections when I took my Diploma,while having to convince my mom about the prospect of the course.



Having said so, 《老九》 is like a typical Asian social story of the youngest and only son in the family, Lao Jiu (the ninth born) realizes that he should grasp the prestigious scholarship opportunity that has opened up for him; yet, he hesitates at the critical junction of attaining the academic prize, for Art sake,to carry on the puppetry trade his uncle has taught him.

Written by late Master Playwright Kuo Pao Kun, known for his works like The Coffin is Too Big for the Hole and Descendants of the Eunuch Admiral. Lao Jiu is adapted into this musical by Liu Xiaoyi.

Short and Sweet verdict from me: Awesome, Brilliant and Steady.

Awesome: They had not let the late Master Playwright down with this spectacular cast,the stage design and the lighting design.I was in awe that with the cast members on the stage,they looked like a big crowd on the stage from beginning to its end. (Probably with a number of quick changes among the casts)

Brilliant: Xiaohan's lyric skills has always been superb, but in this musical, it was so touching that I almost shed tears at some point of time,just like countless of needles piercing through the heart.

Steady: With such a steady orchestra hiding in the pit playing while the show is ongoing, though slight hiccups from the cast,they managed to recover and move on,without us in the audience noticed.Real calm and Move on. Kudos to them!

Lao Jiu is an opinionated play where the audience may have different views between the paper society and passion. Was relating my story as Lao Jiu in me to a couple of peeps next to me,and parents starting to stare at me with the "Don't influence my kids with that!" look.

A number of friends had a discussion over supper and we are aware there's a 老九 in us. Instead of us being the focused ones to chase after the paper society, we chose our future like 老九 to be in the arts,and we are proud to say so.

Having a paper, probably to me is a "So what?". I remembered reading a book mentioning about this issue,so what if we know the log formula in our school days,looking forward in 10 years down the road,will we be using the log formula in our life?

Perhaps to me, it will be the experience and the passion that counts me,rather than having the paper chase.
(At least I am happy about it.)

Having said my piece,I would say...JUST GRAB YOUR Tickets,as they are selling fast.
There's still tickets available on Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday.
It's near full house on the days leading to the final weekend of its run.
Run must end on July 29!


No comments:

Post a Comment