Pages

Friday 3 February 2012

Juggling between School and Work

I believe that everyone in tertiary education will have part time work while studying.
I am one of them...
Talking about juggling between school and work to a New Media student is not an easy feat.
15 Weeks of 3 academic modules day,
1 Assignment to submit for exam.
2 Major deadline submissions to work on.
Constantly to increase Artwork collection.
Having a day job with 2 interesting companies,of 2 different job scopes.

You be thinking...I am kidding right?

No Joke!
That's my campus life this semester.

Having to juggle between work and jobs...has got my friends wonder,how the **** did I actually manage my time in this?
No easy feat. Just got to give and take,and to find a solution to manage your time.

There are times I may not catch up,I told my bosses,I need a month off to work on my school projects.
(Ask my Rocker Boss...he knows me on that.)
True enough,I spent one month to work on my Final Year Project(just last month.). I appreciate the kind gesture from my boss and his kind understanding of my schedule as a student,and keeping me in the loop and ask if I can work on certain days despite I requested a month off from work.

I guess I am the lucky ones to have bosses like this.Without their support,I  guess I will fall flat on the floor.

Back to topic.Here are some tips to juggling between School Works and your Works.
  1. Manage your time well and prioritise your work
  2. Know your commitment and limits(if you can't do it,minimise your commitment,but remember, Working life can wait,Studies FIRST.)
  3. Choose something that is related or interest you .I used to work in the only station in the industry for at least 2 years, ad-hoc on weekends, looking behind the scene of that circle got me feel that the people in there are just normal people afterall.It has been a great exposure for me,from then on, I gained respect from a small little role behind the scene(that was 16 years old me) to what I am now. 
  4. Give and Take when there's a need to,priority to projects please!

    Just remember....EXPERIENCE FIRST. MONEY SECOND.
    You work for the experience,not money.
    (That's the golden word from my mom.)
This article was written alongside with Youth.sg "Campus Spies" Project. D is a representative from Campus Spy for a tertiary institution.
About Campus Spies:
The Youth.SG Ultimate Campus Spy Network is a group of student bloggers who will give an insider's look at their school scene and bring to light issues that are left under the radar. Be it coverage on cool events happening in school or observations on quirky campus trends, campus spies will give an insight to these matters and basically anything that piques the interest of the spies and their readers.






No comments:

Post a Comment