Pages

Sunday 9 September 2012

Marley: The Jamaican Reggae Legend

After a long day of work,it's time for a chillout session with Bob Marley.
Yes,I caught Marley.

Bob Marley (1945-1981) is the lead Singer and Rhythm Guitarist for a rocksteady and Reggae band, Bob Marley and The Wailers.

Prior to this review, if you have plans to catch it, just be aware that this film is 2.5 hours long. 
2.5 hours documentary is pretty rare as it does make viewers ended up dozing in the theatres.

Now here's the kick.
I was intrigued by its life, how he got started and accounts of his collaborators and family members and the music which in a way made a fan out of me.


It could have made me drowned into lala-land with the monotonous voices of the accounts of his past collaborators, but to spice things up,the Socio-political issues in Jamaica has got me attracted. With the video footages of his past gigs and his act as a peacemaker in "One Love Peace Concert", joining the hands of political rivals Michael Manley and Edward Seaga.

I was amazed by the scale of influence he has because of his music,especially the hoards of supporter of Bob Marley. It has gotten me to be a new fan of his music,specially to his tunes like No Woman,No Cry, Redemption Song and a ton loads of tunes.
 
As much as I would say for a 2.5 hours long documentary,it could be a ho-hum to some people,but through the documentary you get to know more about the Rastafari movement that he is bringing in his music. For me,it's not a ho-hum,but a new experience of knowing this Reggae legend.

"Marley " has ended its run in Golden Village Cinemas for now.Do keep a lookout for the DVD version of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment